Are you sleep deprived? We have a great solution!
Do you sleep soundly every night and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day? If your answer is a resounding ‘No’ – You’re not alone!
Sleep is just as important to our health as a good diet and healthy exercise, yet many of us suffer from sleep deprivation at various times throughout our lives. Some of the most common causes include:
- Excessive caffeine intake
- Snacking before bed
- Too much alcohol
- Over-stimulation (e.g. computer or TV)
- An uncomfortable mattress and/or pillow
- Stress (e.g. work or financial problems, relationship issues)
- An injury or health issue
A short bout of insomnia may not be much to worry about, however, chronic sleep loss can not only weaken the immune system but seriously affect your mental and physical health in the following ways:
- Moodiness – irritability and impatience, which in turn impacts relationships with others.
- Your level of alertness and concentration may be compromised, increasing the risk of road accidents and work-related injuries.
- Lack of concentration affects your memory and learning capacity. The more tired you become, the more you’ll struggle.
- Cardiovascular health – those with serious sleep disorders may suffer from hypertension, heartbeat irregularity, and an increase in stress hormones.
- The immune system can be weakened making you more vulnerable to illness.
- Weight gain – those suffering chronic sleep deprivation may gain weight as the body’s capacity to process and store carbohydrates changes.
Although there is a variety of over-the-counter medications that claim to help you get a good night’s sleep, even if you find one that works, it’s not the solution to the underlying problem. Our team of chiropractors at Empowering Wellness Clinic Burleigh work at treating the actual cause, which in many cases is due to misalignments or subluxations in the spine.
Subluxations compress the nerves blocking communication between the spine and the brain, which can put the body out of balance and therefore sleeping becomes difficult. Our Chiropractors use a number of treatments including spinal manipulation, acupuncture treatment and massage to free up the joints which allows the nervous system to communicate and function efficiently and effectively.
Understanding your preferred sleep position will also help you get a comfortable night’s sleep.